Our Mission & 5 Goals of Sacred Heart
Faith. Academics. Service. Community. Growth.
United in tradition. Defined in spirit. The 5 goals of Sacred Heart have been the cornerstone of our educational foundation from the day we first opened our doors in 1867. They unite us in tradition. They define us in spirit. We invite you to take a closer look at our Goals and Criteria, and then you'll understand why our girls are inspired to go out and make change in the world.
We prepare young women to lead a purposeful life, to pursue their dreams and adapt to life’s challenges, to reach out to those less fortunate and live by the tenets of their faith, and to stand up for principles and make a difference in the world.
Our philosophy is rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart, which educates young women to become leaders of a just society by adhering to the following five goals:
- Goal 1 Faith: A personal and active faith in God
- Goal 2 Academics: A deep respect for intellectual values
- Goal 3 Service: A social awareness which impels to action
- Goal 4 Community: The building of community as a Christian value
- Goal 5 Growth: Personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom
1) All members of the School community show respect, acceptance and concern for themselves and for others.
2) School policies and practices promote self-discipline, responsible decision-making, and accountability.
3) Students grow in self-knowledge and develop self-confidence as they learn to deal realistically with their gifts and limitations.
4) School programs provide for recognizing, nurturing and exercising leadership in its many forms.
5) The School provides opportunities for all members of the community to share their knowledge and gifts with others.
6) All members of the School community take personal responsibility for balance in their lives and for their health and well-being.
The preamble of the original edition of the Goals and Criteria states that "values taken for granted or left unarticulated become inoperative." This conviction resulted in capturing the essence of Sacred Heart education in the five Goals. The Goals and Criteria provide both the uniqueness of a Sacred Heart School and the strong bond of union among the Network of Sacred Heart schools. They continue to challenge all Sacred Heart educators to deepen their understanding of these timeless principles.
*All Goals and text taken from the Goals and Criteria as published by the Society of the Sacred Heart, Saint Louis, Missouri – 2005