Our Mission & 5 Goals of the Sacred Heart
Faith. Academics. Service. Community. Growth.
United in tradition. Defined in spirit. The 5 goals of Sacred Heart have been the cornerstone of our educational foundation from the day we first opened our doors in 1867. They unite us in tradition. They define us in spirit. We invite you to take a closer look at our Goals and Criteria, and then you'll understand why our girls are inspired to go out and make change in the world.
We prepare young women to lead a purposeful life, to pursue their dreams and adapt to life’s challenges, to reach out to those less fortunate and live by the tenets of their faith, and to stand up for principles and make a difference in the world.
Our philosophy is rooted in the 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart, which educates young women to become leaders of a just society by adhering to the following five goals:
- Goal 1: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to a personal and active faith in God
- Goal 2: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to a deep respect for intellectual values
- Goal 3: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to a social awareness which impels to action
- Goal 4: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to the building of community as a Christian value
- Goal 5: Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom
The Goals and Criteria articulate the essence of a Sacred Heart school in the United States and Canada. The commitment to educate to these five goals defines a Sacred Heart school and binds it in a common mission to the other schools in the Sacred Heart Network. These five elements have been the framework of Sacred Heart education since its beginning in 1800.
The Goals and Criteria express the values, the intentions, and the hopes of the Sacred Heart tradition, sharpened to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world. They also reflect recent documents of the Society of the Sacred Heart that express the vision of Sacred Heart education and the promise for the future.
*All Goals and text taken from the Goals and Criteria as published by the Society of the Sacred Heart, Saint Louis, Missouri – 2021
1. In the Goals and Criteria, the Society of the Sacred Heart defines the mission of the school as part of the Society's educational mission in the Catholic Church.
2. Each school is accountable to the Society through the Sacred Heart Commission on Goals for adherence to the Goals and Criteria.
3. Each school's Board of Trustees and Administration establish and uphold policies that are consistent with the Goals and Criteria.
4. The school allocates its resources to support each Goal and its Criteria.
5. The school is in compliance with professional standards as stated by accrediting agencies.