Sacred Heart Profile
Sacred Heart girls come from all over the Greater NOLA. Mandeville, Destrehan, Chalmette, LaPlace – we never know where our future Sacred Heart girls will come from. But if something tugs at their heart, calling one to make change in the world, we're ready to meet her.
- Founded: 1867
- Affiliation/Student Body: Catholic/All Girls
- Headmistress: Sr. Melanie A. Guste, RSCJ, Ph.D.
- Tuition: $9,610-$19,675
- Grades Taught: Ages 1 – Grade 12
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 9/1
- Total Students: 731
- Average class size: 16
- 150+: National & International Sacred Heart Schools
- Accelerated: AP & Online AP courses
- Mascot: Cardinals "Ashley"
Other frequently asked Sacred Heart questions.
SAT Scores for 2016-17
(based on averages):
Generally, 100% of the school’s graduates attend a four-year college or university. Over the past five years, Sacred Heart graduates have continued their studies at many diverse institutions – from Notre Dame, Virginia, Vanderbilt and Howard to Colorado, Michigan, SCAD and Johns Hopkins.
- Sacred Heart established its first school, Mater Admirabilis, in the French Quarter in 1867.
- The Rosary campus underwent three expansions in 1906, 1913, and 1996.
- In 1998, the expansion included the new academic wing on the corner of Jena and Carondelet Streets.
- In 2002, the Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of the First Baptist Church property on St. Charles and Napoleon avenues.
- The Mater Campus opened in the fall of 2005 and is home to the Preschool and Primary School.
- In 2011, the school opened a new Arts and Athletics Complex on the back square of the Rosary Campus that enhances the arts, athletics, wellness, and co-curricular programs.
- The Rosary campus, which is 125+ years old, stands as a landmark in historic uptown New Orleans.
Required courses include:
Advanced Placement courses are offered in English Language, English Literature, French Language, Spanish Language, World History, United States History, Government, Biology, Environmental Science, Calculus, and Statistics. Students in these courses are prepared for and required to take Advanced Placement tests. Advanced Placement courses are considered honors courses.
Honors courses are marked H on the transcript and are weighted +1 in the GPA. Advanced Placement courses are marked H AP on the transcript and are weighted +1 in the GPA.
Honors courses are offered in:
|Regular Courses||Honors Courses|
A minimum 3.40 GPA for the year with no grade below B- (except honors courses where no grade may be below C+) is required.
Based on grades from June 2016, the class of 2016 had the following record:
- 4.00 Highest Honors 21/46
- 3.70 High Honors 3/46
- 3.40 Honors 8/46
Students take the PSAT9, PSAT/NMSQT, PLAN, SAT, SAT Subject Tests, ACT and AP tests. Students have the option of requesting that their PSAT, PLAN, SAT, and ACT scores be included on the transcript. AP scores are always sent separately and typically only to the college they will attend.
SAT Scores for the Class of 2016
- 25th Percentile 75th Percentile
- Critical Reading 560 680
- Math 560 710
- Writing 600 690
ACT Scores for the Class of 2016
- 25th Percentile 75th Percentile
- 24 – 31
AP Scholars for the Class of 2016
- AP Scholar (to come)
- AP Scholar with Honor (to come)
- AP Scholar with Distinction (to come)
Tech in the Class
The Academy of the Sacred Heart student's can receive Microsoft Office Specialist Certification in Word, Excel and Power Point. Students, through these specific computer classes, can earn up to three college credits.
Academy of the Sacred Heart Affiliations:
Uniforms inspire girls to express themselves in other ways.
Upper School Students wear a traditional plaid skirt with a Sacred Heart Oxford blouse or Polo Shirt with top siders or bucks and socks with Sacred Heart logo.
Middle School students wear a traditional plaid skirt with a Sacred Heart polo shirt.
Lower School students wear plaid jumpers with white Peter Pan collared shirts.
Preschool students wear blue puffy-sleeved smocked dresses with monogrammed Peter Pan collar and bloomers.
Little Hearts wear green puffy-sleeved smocked dresses with monogrammed Peter Pan collar and bloomers with our youngest group, the one year olds, wearing a green smocked bubble.