Be a Heart. Give Blood.
Wed., March 14, 2018
New Location: Nims Fine Arts Center
All donors will receive a Blood Bank t-shirt, mini-physical and cholesterol test. We encourage you to eat a "healthy" meal prior to donating. Picture ID required.
All blood donors will also receive a t-shirt in honor of Shelby Leonhard.
Questions? Contact Liz Manthey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 236-2284.
The Ochsner Blood Bank
Shelby Leonhard Memorial Blood Drive
• 17 years and older must weigh 110 lbs. to donate
• 16 years old must weigh 120 lbs. and have written parental consent
Tips before donating:
• Eat a healthy meal before donating
• Drink LOTS of water before & after your donation
• Bring Photo ID
Donating Blood Saves Lives
- Approximately 4 out of every 10 people in the U.S. are eligible to give blood.
- Fewer than 1 in 10 actually donate.
- Approximately 1 out of every 7 people entering the hospital needs blood.
- 1 donation has the potential to save as many as 3 lives.
- 3 teaspoons of blood can save a baby's life.
Is there anything I need to do before my donation?
Please be sure to eat and drink plenty of fluids before donating.
What will happen first?
You will be asked to provide some basic information such as name, address, phone number and age. A brief medical history is taken and, using a finger stick, a drop of blood will be analyzed to make sure your hemoglobin levels are sufficient to donate. Your blood pressure and temperature will also be taken.
How long does the donation take and what happens?
The procedure is done by a skilled, specially trained technician and will take 10 to 30 minutes.
How will I feel after the donation?
Most people feel absolutely fine and even great knowing they just saved a life. We’ll ask you to hang around for about 15 minutes and eat a snack and drink some water before returning to class.